This rich, creamy, spicy dish is one of my husband’s favorites. Add the cooling avocado, and it makes it one of mine.
- 8 oz boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 cup button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 – 4 oz can diced green chilies
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 tsp salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 Tbsp fresh or dried chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup evaporated skimmed milk or half-and-half
- Splash of dry white wine to deglaze the pan (optional)
- 6 oz shredded Pepper-Jack cheese
- 1 Tbsp sour cream
- 1/2 package spaghetti, cooked and drained (do not rinse)
- 1 medium avocado, sliced
- Add olive oil to skillet: 2 turns around the pan, then add the chicken, green chilies and garlic, and sautee until chicken is almost cooked, then add in mushrooms and cook for 2 minutes more
- To prepare sauce, deglaze the pan with a splash of white wine (optional — water or stock will do); then add the milk and sour cream and stir to combine. Season with the smoked paprika, then slowly add in the pepper-jack cheese and stir until melted and incorporated. It is often best to combine the cheese with a whisk to avoid clumping. If the sauce is too thick, add a splash more milk or wine.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, and add parsley, then serve atop cooked spaghetti and garnish with sliced avocado.
Serves 2-3, depending on how hungry you are!